Internships for Canadian Citizens & Permanent Residents
U.S. Department of State Foreign National Student Intern Program
The Foreign National Student Intern Program is designed for students who are non-U.S. citizens seeking internships with the U.S. Mission in Canada. This program benefits both the Mission and students by providing the Foreign National student with valuable experience in an Embassy environment and by assisting the Mission in accomplishing their goals. Interns will not receive compensation, benefits or have any future employment rights.
Management Section, Toronto
Position: Management Section, Toronto (331KB PDF)
Open to: Non-U.S. Citizen Students*. Candidates must be enrolled half-time or more in a trade school, technical or vocational institute, college, university or comparable recognized educational institute in the field of International Relations, Business, Management, Education, Environmental Management, Communications, Public Administration as well as related disciplines.
Posting Date: 20 June 2014
Closing Date: Open until filled.
Duration: September - December 2014
Public Affairs Section, Ottawa
Position: Public Affairs Section (318KB PDF), Ottawa
Open to: Non-U.S. Citizen Students*. Candidates must be enrolled half-time or more in a trade school, technical or vocational institute, college, university or comparable recognized educational institute in the field of Communication, Journalism, International Affairs, Public Affairs, Social Sciences, Humanities or related areas. Candidate must have completed at least two years of university-level work.
Posting Date: 29 May 2014
Closing Date: Open until filled
Duration: Summer/Fall 2014
Foreign National Student Intern Program Guidelines
Student Eligibility Criteria
- Only students in Canada who are non-U.S. Citizens are eligible for Foreign National Student Internships. American citizens or individuals with claim to American citizenship are not eligible for this position. American students interested in student internships should apply to the programs found on the Internships for U.S. Citizens page.
- Foreign students, who wish to participate in an internship, must possess a work permit as well as a study permit in accordance with Citizenship and Immigration Canada policy.
- Students must have graduated from high school or equivalent secondary school prior to beginning the program. Students must be enrolled, not less than half time in a trade school, technical or vocational institute, junior college, college, university or comparable recognized institute.
- Students must be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment.
- Students must be in good academic standing at his/her current educational institution and provide a certified transcript to verify it and must provide written permission from the educational institution in which the student is enrolled.
- Students must pass a medical exam and a U.S. non-sensitive security clearance.
Types of Assignments for the Student Interns
Interns can be assigned duties that may include research, economic and political report writing, correspondence, information systems, analysis of international issues, visa/consular work, administrative duties, budget, fiscal and personnel management and temporary special projects.
Students Applying for Intern Positions
To be eligible for consideration for an Intern position, students must submit documentation prior to the closing date on the Vacancy Announcement:
- Application for Foreign National Student Intern program (51KB PDF);
- Statement of Interest Form (26KB PDF), which includes the student's objectives and motivations in seeking an internship and how their academic courses and other experience related to the Mission goals/office needs;
- Written permission from their school; and
- Certified transcript to verify that the student is in good standing.
Length and hours of the internship varies. Work schedules are at the discretion of the Supervisor.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.