Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Online Passport Application

Passport applications should be made online

You may now fill out your passport application form using the convenient Passport Application Wizard. Be prepared to print the completed form which includes a barcode that holds all of your information, as this allows for more speedy, accurate, and efficient processing of your application.

The same Wizard can be used to apply for the new wallet-sized passport card which can be used in crossing land borders only. More information on the Passport Card can be found here.

Security Notice

Please note: Restrictions exist on what visitors may bring into the U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulates. For more information, please review our security procedures.

Passport and Other Consular Fees

Effective July 13, 2010 several important consular fees changed, including the fees for U.S. passports and passport cards. For a complete list of consular fees, please click here.

What Form Should You Use?

Please review the links below to determine which section of this website meets your passport needs.

If you were born in Canada and believe you qualify for U.S. Citizenship and wish to apply for a U.S. Passport, please go here first.

First Time Passport

Submit form DS-11 in person to a U.S. Consulate/Embassy in Canada or a Passport Acceptance Facility in the United States if you are:

  • a first time applicant for a U.S. passport; or
  • renewing a U.S. passport issued over 15 years ago; or
  • applying for the replacement of a lost, stolen or mutilated passport; or
  • Renewing a U.S. passport which was issued while you were under the age of 16

Passport Renewal

You may submit Form DS-82 by mail to the National Passport Center only if:

  • your passport was issued less than 15 years ago; and
  • you can submit the passport; and
  • you use the same name that appears in the passport; and
  • you were at least 16 years old when your last passport was issued, within the last 15 years.

If your name has changed, you must submit original documentation to reflect a legal name change, such as a marriage certificate or a certificate of name change.

Children's Passports

Applications for passports for children under the age of 16 are given special attention in order to lessen the possibility that a U.S. passport might be used in the course of an international parental child abduction.

If possible, both parents should appear at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with their child when the child's passport application is made.

Amending or Correcting an Existing Passport

American citizens residing in Canada who wish to amend, correct or extend the validity of their U.S. passports, issued within one year should click here.

Add Pages to a Passport

American citizens residing in Canada who wish to have additional visa pages added to their currently valid U.S. passport should click here.

Passport Acceptance Facilities

Click here to find locations within the United States where you can make your U.S. passport application.

Check Passport Application Status

After submitting your application, you can track its current status from this page. You can also print the status as proof that your application has been made.

Additional Information

The loss or theft abroad of a U.S. passport should be reported immediately to the local police and the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Please note the advisory on the passport application forms about Federal Tax Law and the requirement to provide Social Security Numbers. Failure to do so can result in a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS.

The IRS points out that U.S. citizens, if their income is over a certain threshold, have an obligation to file a U.S. tax return and that a Social Security Number is required in order to do so. Applicants who do not have Social Security Numbers are alerted to their possible tax responsibility and encouraged to contact the Social Security Administration to obtain a Social Security Number.

For additional information from the Department of State, please follow the links below: