Amending, Correcting or Extending a Passport
As an additional security enhancement, Passport Services will no longer amend valid passports. Instead, customers requesting name changes, extension of validity for limited passports, or correction of a printing error will apply for replacement passports.
DS-5504: Should you use this form?
Form DS-5504 should only be used for making a data change for a currently valid U.S. passport WITHIN one year from the date of issue:
- when there is a change in your identifying information, such as a name-change due to marriage or by court order;
- to extend the validity of certain previously limited passports; or
- To correct a Passport Services' printing error.
If it is more than one year since the date of issue, you must submit Form DS-82 (or DS-11, if appropriate) and pay the applicable fees. No fees are required when the cause is a printing error by Passport Services.
Important: Please read the following instructions carefully before downloading the application forms. Applications which are incomplete, or which make use of the wrong form, or which are directed to the wrong office, will be returned to the applicant for correction. If you wish to print this list then it is recommended that you use the Print Version linked at the bottom of this page.
Submit the following items to the National Passport Center:
- Completed and signed Re-Application Form DS-5504.
Forms are also available at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- Your most recent U.S. Passport issued less than 1 year ago, to be replaced.
- Documentation required for the change or correction:
See Instruction on Page Two of the form. You must present evidence to reflect a legal name change (if applicable), such as your marriage certificate or certificate of name change.
Note that this supplements the information on the form itself.
- Two recent, identical passport photographs.
- Two inches by two inches (5 cm by 5 cm) in size, exclusive of any white borders.
- The image size, from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head (including hair), should measure between one inch and one and three-eights inches.
- There should be at least one-half inch between the top of the head and the top of the photograph's border.
- The photographs must be in color. No black and white photographs will be accepted.
- The background must be light in color, preferably white or off-white. Photographs should not be grainy.
- You may smile for your passport photograph if you wish.
- Mail your application package and requested items.
If you are mailing the package using the U.S. Postal Service, submit it to:
National Passport Processing
P.O. Box 13290
Philadelphia, PA 19101-3290
If using other delivery service National Passport Processing, submit your package to:
ATTN: Department 13290
1617 Brett Road
New Castle, DE 19720
Do not send your application to the U.S. Consulate. You must apply through The National Passport Center.
Residents of Canada
While form DS-5504 Passport Re-Application is designed for applicants residing in the U.S., American citizens who reside in Canada may also use this form.
Routine Service: There is no charge for routine six week service.
Expedited Service: If Expedited Service is requested for any of the above, with the exception of an error by Passport Services, there is an additional charge of $60 per application, plus the cost of two-way overnight delivery for receipt within 2 weeks from the date you submit your application.
If you wish to have your passport returned to you by courier service, you will need to send a letter with the passport application asking for a specific courier to pick up the passport. You should include a major credit card number, the name of the credit card holder and the expiry date of the credit card in the letter. Please state whether the credit card is Visa, Master Card or American Express.
All documents submitted must be originals and must bear the official seal of the issuing authority. The original documents will be returned to you after processing.