Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Renewing Your Passport

Note: American Citizens living in Canada are eligible for passport renewal by mail. The DS-82 form is not correct where it states that passports may be renewed by mail only if the applicant is using a U.S. mailing address. In fact, an exception is made for residents of Canada.

DS-82: Should you use this form?

You may submit this application form by mail only if you meet all of the following requirements:

  • You are at least 18 years old; and
  • Your most recent passport was issued when you were 16 years of age or older; and
  • Your most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years; and
  • Your most recent passport was not limited (i.e. it was issued for its full five-year or ten-year validity); and
  • You can submit the passport with the application; and
  • You are not requesting a change in the passport data, other than a name change and you submit original documentation to reflect a legal name change, such as a marriage certificate or a certificate of name change.

If you meet all of these requirements, please fill out Form DS-82 online. Otherwise, please use Form DS-11.


Important: Please read the following instructions carefully before downloading the application forms. Applications which are incomplete, or which make use of the wrong form, or which are directed to the wrong office, will be returned to the applicant for correction. If you wish to print this list, please use the "Print" button located in the upper right side of this page.

Submit the following items by mail to the National Passport Center:

1. Completed and signed Form DS-82.
Forms are also available at the nearest U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

2. Your most recent U.S. Passport issued less than 15 years ago.

3. Evidence of Name Change, if applicable.
If you would like your U.S. passport printed with a different name from the one that appears on your most recent passport, you must present evidence to reflect a legal name change, such as your marriage certificate or certificate of name change.

4. Photographs
Note: The following information supplements the information available on the form itself. A sample photograph is available from the State Department.

  • Two recent, identical passport photographs.
  • Two inches by two inches (5 cm by 5 cm) in size, exclusive of any white borders.
  • The image size, from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head (including hair), should measure between one inch and one and three-eights inches.
  • There should be at least one-half inch between the top of the head and the top of the photograph's border.
  • The photographs must be in color. No black and white photographs will be accepted.
  • The background must be light in color, preferably white or off-white. Photographs should not be grainy.
  • You may smile for your passport photograph if you wish.

5. Fee:
Enclose with your application the fee of US$110. You may pay by:

  • Cash in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Canadian dollars. You may pay Canadian cash ONLY if applying in person at the Embassy or Consulates.
  • Bank or postal money order, in U.S. dollars only, made payable to U.S. Department of State. Personal checks are not accepted.

6. Mail your application package as follows:

Routine Processing / Mailing Address
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

Expedited Service / Mailing Address
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955

For expedited service, please note that an additional fee applies.


All documents submitted must be originals and must bear the official seal of the issuing authority. The original documents will be returned to you after processing.

Emergency Passport Issuance

If you have an emergency and need a passport immediately, you will need to apply in person at the consular section nearest you. You may still use Passport Acceptance Facility in the U.S. or through a U.S. Embassy and Consulate abroad. Please

Applications for the renewal of a U.S. passport should be made in person at the U.S. Embassy or the nearest U.S. Consulate only in the following circumstances:

  • if you are less than 16 years old; or
  • if you were less than 16 years old when your old passport was issued; or
  • in the case of an emergency.

If your passport was issued over 15 years ago then use Form DS-11. If you need to replace a lost, stolen or mutilated passport then also complete Form DS-64, Statement of Lost or Stolen Passport (115KB PDF).

U.S. Consulates in Canada

For the hours and location of any of our consular offices, please click on one of the cities below.

Consulate Locations in Canada

Ottawa Eastern Ontario (Kingston, Lanark, Leeds, Prescott, Renfrew, Russell and Stormont); and those parts of the Québec regions of Outaouais and Abitibi-Témiscamingue near Ottawa
Vancouver British Columbia and Yukon Territory
Calgary Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northwest Territories
Winnipeg Emergency Services Only. For Visa and other services contact the Calgary office.
Toronto Ontario, excluding the areas east of Kingston, which are included in the Ottawa consular district
Montréal Greater Montréal and the regions of southern Québec province (Laurentides, Lanaudiere, Laval, Montréal, Montregie, Estrie, and the southern parts of Centre-du-Québec); including Joliette, Drummondville, and Sherbrooke
Québec City Those regions of Québec province to the north and east of the Montréal and Ottawa Districts (indicated above), plus the territory of Nunavut
Halifax Atlantic Canada: New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and P.E.I., and the French islands of St. Pierre & Miquelon

Adobe Reader

  • Download Adobe Reader Free
    Download Adobe Reader Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.