Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Canadian students

Canadian citizens do not need visas to study in the U.S. However, you do need to obtain an I-20 (or DS-2019) Certificate of Eligibility from the university that you plan to attend. At the time you receive the I-20 (or DS-2019) you will be registered with SEVIS, the student tracking system. You will be assigned a SEVIS number, and be required to pay a registration fee. When you cross the border to study you will need to provide the Officer at the port of entry:

  • 1. Proof of identity and citizenship (a Canadian passport)
  • 2. The original I-20 (or DS-2019) certificate
  • 3. Proof that you have paid your SEVIS fee
  • 4. Proof that you have the funds to pay for the school that you plan to attend
  • 5. Proof of your ties to Canada